The Presidents Of The United States Of America - Kudos To You!



"Good evening viewers.  I'm Generic Host.  Thank you for joining us tonight for our continuous coverage of the State Of The Union address.  We anticipate hearing the announcement of President Penfold's arrival inside the chamber any minute now.  At this time I'd like to introduce our illustrious panel sitting to my left made up of Talking Head 1, 2, and 3.  While we have a moment let's discuss what we expect to hear addressed in the President's speech.  Talking Head 1?"
"First of all thanks for having me Generic Host."
"Of Course."
"I think President Penfold will address the idealistic divide separating people throughout this country.  Everyone knows Congress has been openly hostile towards all of the President's proposals.  It is imperative that the President use this opportunity to bridge the gap between his opponents and his supporters.  If he hopes to get any legislation passed before the end of his term a reconciliation must occur."
"Thank you Talking Head 1.  Talking Head 2?  You've been monitoring all of the major social media outlets.  What is it that the common man would like to hear from the President this evening?"
"Thanks for bringing me on the show Generic Host."
"You're welcome.  Now about the common man?"
"Sure.  After viewing thousands of tweets, hundreds of facebook posts, countless flickr images, and dozens of pinterest boards I'm ready to report that the desires of most internet users can be summed up in two words.  Expletive deleted."
"Sounds about right.  Thank you Talking Head 2.  Talking Head 3?  Do you have anything interesting or insightful to add?"
"I'd first like to thank yo..."
"Yes, yes, you're welcome.  Get to the point."
"Very well.  I would like to say that we're all doomed."
"Doomed?"
"Yes, doomed.  The world is going to end soon, and we are all going to perish."
"And what does that have to do with the President and his State Of The Union address?"
"Nothing.  Nothing at all.  I think President Penfold is doing a marvelous job!  I'm just telling you that the apocalypse is upon us and we are not prepared to colonize another planet in order to survive."
"Alrighty then.  Can someone please explain to me why this lunatic is on my set?  Why am I being forced to listen to this malarkey?"
"You don't have to believe in our lord Cthulu Generic Hos..."
"Cut his mic!  Cut it now!  Oh thank goodness.  President Penfold is currently walking to the podium.  Ladies and gentlemen, we will now take you inside the chamber to hear the President's speech."

"My fellow Americans.  I have one thing and one thing only to say to you this evening.  Kudos to you.  Kudos...to...you.  If you don't understand what I'm saying then this message isn't for you.  God bless you and God bless the United States of America.  I'm out!"

Have you heard the news waveriders?  There's a new Presidents Of The United States Of America album.  Hooray!  Kudos To You! is nothing short of fantastic!  Not just good.  Not just great.  Nope.  It's fantastic!  I've been in a state of rapture since the first time I heard it, and I want to make sure all of you know why.

PUSA has been around for a few years, entering the collective musical consciousness with their smash-hit debut album way back in 1995.  Yes, we are talking about the same band that broke through to the big time on the backs of songs like "Peaches", "Lump", and "Kitty".  I was given that album as a gift, and I loved it.  The music was lively, it rocked, it was silly, it was memorable, I could easily sing along, and there was cursing involved.  The burgeoning young music fan inside me latched on to that album and refused to let go.

Fast forward to the present day.  I received an email informing me that PUSA was seeking financial assistance from their fans in order to fund the creation of a new studio album.  After a few nanoseconds of internal dialogue I decided to help them achieve their goal.  Heck yeah I would help!  Never mind the fact that I would be rewarded with new tunes I was sure to like.  No!  I supported their PledgeMusic campaign for the sake of the children.  Children who had not yet been exposed to the greatness of this band.  Children who could rely upon this new PUSA album to be the emotional rock in their turbulent existence.  Children who...okay, you're right.  I did it for the music.  All that stuff about the kids would simply be a bonus.

Kudos To You! starts off with a song entitled "Slow Slow Fly".  In keeping with PUSA's other material it's a very serious, somber tune about how a fly will have difficulty operating during the cold days of winter.  Wait.  Excluding the subject matter take what I said and reverse it.  That's better.  This is fun, joyous music done exceedingly well!  All thirteen songs on Kudos are superb.  Goofiness abounds and there is variety to boot!  Power pop fans will especially like the songs "Good Morning Tycoon", "Innocent Bird", and "Rooftops In Spain".  Folks looking for something a bit more aggressive will be energized by "Crappy Ghost", "Ohio", and "Stay With Me".  The laid back elegance of "Crown Victoria" offers the listener a breather at the album's midway point.  "Flea Verses Mite" has a glorious 1980s metal vibe, "Poor Little Me" is as close to rockabilly as this band gets, and "Electric Spider" has a vintage garage rock sound to my ears.  My two favorite songs are "Finger Monster" and album closer "She's A Nurse".  They are both all kinds of brilliant.

Waveriders.  Do you like excellent rock and roll that is legitimately fun to listen to?  Well then Kudos To You! by The Presidents Of The United States Of America was custom made for your ears!  Don't be concerned if a smile stays on your face hours after hearing this music.  I assure you that there's no need to consult a doctor.  What you'll be experiencing is perfectly normal.  If however your condition persists and you are uncomfortable with your cheerful facial expression, turn on the news.

P.S.:  If you buy the vinyl version of this album you will receive the bonus track "Truckstop On The Moon".  It's whimsical and lovely.  You want it.

--Penfold


Youtube Vids - Poor Little Me  



She's A Nurse 

Buy Here - http://www.presidentsrock.com/store/

Comments