Daily Bandcamp Album; Las Cruces by Cactus Black



I don't quite remember how I came across this album but it wasn't due to my usual finding habits. The cover is pretty basic but yet it drew me in. Perhaps it was the Devil, whose presence is pretty prominent in the album. Before I continue I need to point out that this album isn't "normal" compared to my usual recommendations. I mentioned the Devil above but this isn't Black Sabbath inspired, devil worshipping doom. Far from it.

This album isn't something that should be played as ambient background music, although you could, you shouldn't. The album is primarily acoustic based guitar music with a lot of folky overtones. The album, from beginning to end is a story that deals with murder, the devil and dealing with the consequences of said murder including guilt. It's the narrative spoken word sung to the music that really drives this album. It's an enjoyable album, has a well written story and great sounding acoustics. Top notch performance by all involved in making this album. Set this one on your radars.

Comments

mctous said…
I discovered Las Cruces tangentially through a YouTube channel. Blueglow Electronics played an LP copy to demo a vintage McIntosh C8 preamp and M30 amp he restored. I was really impressed with both the sound quality and the storytelling and ordered my own LP copy. The raw, immediate singing and playing comes through even better with my analog playback chain.