Anthony Green - Beautiful Things

 Beautiful Things (Deluxe)
The music coming out this year has been nothing short of incredible and really hard to keep up with. I'm behind at least a couple months on what has been released. With that said, I am finally getting around to writing up Beautiful Things, the latest album from one Anthony Green. It's an incredible album to say the least.

Most people know Anthony Green as the front-man for post-hardcore Saosin and Circa Survive. Over the past few years,his focus has increased on his solo career. Green expands his musical chops by implementing bits of country, rock, pop and electronica. Musically Beautiful Things is all over the place, but it's in a good way.Calling Beautiful Things a diverse record is an understatement.

The first stand out track on this album is the song "Blood Song". If an alternative country song is what you're looking for than look no further. Lyrically this song is what you would expect from Mr. Green.
                                                                                              "Who's gone, buried in the well?"
Who's gone, buried in the well?
Nobody knew him, he had only arrived.
Who's gonna break it to his wife?
Who's gonna break it to his wife?
She died giving birth to her fifth and final one...
Who's gonna rescue all his sons?
Who's gonna rescue all his sons?
Bares heavy burden, but you could give them away...
Who's got a home for them to stay?
You can't sell the children, but there's hell to be payed.
And I'm not giving these orphans away...er dream...
Who's gone, swallowed by the sea?
Who's gone, swallowed by the sea?
She was only twenty, but she fucked like thirty three.
Who's gonna round up all her things?
Who's gonna round up all her things?
Nobody liked her, but they loved it when she'd sing.
Who's got a bell for us to ring?
We won't make a sound 'till her body's in the ground...
And I'm admitting the voice sounded strange...
Said, "You'll get no more sleep at night. You no longer sleep at night. You
No longer dream.
You won't get no sleep..."

My favorite track on this album is only available on the deluxe edition. From my past reviews you know I am quite fond of Deftones/Crosses/Team Sleep crooner Chino Moreno. Well, the track "Right Outside" features him. The mix of dueling croons from Moreno and Green make this track special. Not to take anything away from Anthony Green but Chino Moreno's added vocals make this track amazing. Lyrically this song speaks of break up and the endless wait for someone.
"What did you ever see in me?
You know that diamond ring will set you free.
While you are waiting for that dream..
I'll be waitin' in the morning when you're coming to your senses.
Don't keep tellin' me you didn't mean it just to make me stay.
How did you get so far away?
How did you get so far?
What did you ever do for me?
You thought those eerie eyes would break you free.
Are you still waiting for that dream?
I'll be waitin' in the morning when you're coming to your senses.
Don't keep tellin' me you didn't mean it just to make me stay.
How did you get so far away?
How did you get so far?
Something in our dreams to keep the stars away..
Something in the stars control our fate..
I'll be waitin' in the morning when you're coming to your senses.
Don't keep tellin' me you didn't mean it just to make me stay.
How did you get so far away?
How did you get so far?
I'll be waitin' in the morning when you're coming to your senses.
Don't keep tellin' me you didn't mean it just to make me stay.
How did you get so far away?
How did you get so far?"

Anthony Green's Beautiful Things is truly that, beautiful. With the great range in music genres, it's 41 minutes of Green stepping out of his comfort zone. Lyrically I loved this album as it is brutally honest. Like most music in this genre, I used it as a nice  break from my normal metal and hardcore jams.

-Cicatriz

Anthony Green goes good with: Saosin, Circa Survive, Team Sleep, Crosses, Deftones, Team Sleep, Thrice, Dustin Kensrue, The Sound of Animals Fighting

Comments