We Have A Ghost - Debut Album

Dear fellow music-lovers,

On some days, life offers us the chance to make a difference in the world.  The chance to stand up for the forces of creative freedom.  The chance to fight for the underdog, to support the truly gifted.  The chance to throw away our ego, and become a part of something bigger than ourselves, kinda like Voltron.  Well, waveriders, today is one of those days.

Before I began writing for this site, I contacted the staff to inform them that I thought they were a bunch of softies handing out favorable reviews to anyone with a guitar in his hand and a mic in his pocket.  However, the good people of the Ripple Effect reminded me that they are here to support and discuss the good music, not to expose and ridicule the bad music, then they offered to let me write for them.  Well, today I intend to take their philosophy one step further. 

This is not a music review, this is a call to action.  This is a request from me to you, that you find the spirit of giving within yourself and help a talented artist manifest his vision.  To wit:

About 6 months ago, I happened upon a mysterious new musician who went by the name We Have A Ghost.  There was very little information about him beyond his influences and a few artistic photographs which he had taken.  But his music was spectacular.  Live drums driving alongside gritty modular synth sequences and lush pads - delicately layered, patiently built-upon, happily mangled and distorted.  His sound quickly became one of my favorite flavors of tea.

Well, We Have A Ghost's
self-titled debut album (which you can preview below) was released in October, and now he's interested in offering a physical package.  But this guy dreams big, and to help fund the project he has recently proposed a campaign on Kickstarter.com, a funding platform for artists, musicians, filmmakers, journalists, etc. 

Perhaps We Have A Ghost can explain his idea best, so I've pulled these quotes from his Kickstarter page (http://kck.st/svr2f2):

"I am an anonymous multimedia artist. I choose anonymity because I want it to be about the music, the art, the experience. It forces me to create. I know there are many other emerging artists trying to survive doing what they love. I want to prove it is possible, DIY style, using readily available tools, wherever you are."

"Kickstarter is the next step for me. It provides you a risk-free opportunity to support the artists you believe in. Kickstarter is all or nothing. If enough people believe in this, it will exist. If I do not reach the minimum goal, you will not be charged, this will not exist, and it may haunt you."
"The goal is simple: create the most beautiful album packaging I can to compete with the most beautiful limited edition works in existence."

"My vision involves: Glow in the dark vinyl or a picture disk that glows in the dark. A limited edition hard bound book comprised of hand tinted black and white photos and hand-written lyrics. Housed in a custom box with embossed artwork that glows in the dark."
For more information, please see: http://kck.st/svr2f2

Confucius once said, "The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones."  Well, if everyone reading this page were to contribute $2 to this campaign, We Have A Ghost would reach his mark with ease and start moving the mountain. 

As a thank you to the fans, if the goal of $5,000 is reached by January 14th (when the campaign closes), We Have A Ghost has agreed to allow me to conduct a rare interview with him to discuss his concepts, inspirations, techniques, and plans for the future.

So, the choice is yours.  You could have a hand in the creation of something beautiful and unique and good and fair and right in the world.  With just a few small stones, you could help move a mountain.  All you have to do is click the link featured up and down this post and donate whatever you can.  Literally, every dollar helps.  Let's go Voltron Force!

(For the purpose of ease and because of my inherent prejudice, I referred to We Have A Ghost as "he," but I do not know the gender of this person.  He could very well be a she.)

We Have A Ghost Kickstarter Page: http://kck.st/svr2f2

Take a Listen to We Have A Ghost:

  We Have A Ghost by We Have A Ghost

Comments

Anonymous said…
new kickstarter campaign here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wehaveaghost/we-have-a-ghost