Brett Detar – Bird In The Triangle

As I mentioned last week in my Nick 13 write up, I was previlaged to see a man by the name of Brett Detar open up the show I saw. Some of you may remember Brett Detar for being in some of the coolest Indy and Hardcore bands of the 90's and early 2000's. Most notably as the lead singer for the band The Julian Theory, few may also remember him being in an early incarnation of metalcore icons, Zao. Brett Detar shows us his Country side in his debut solo album, Bird In The Triangle.


The album opens with “Empty House on a Famous Hill” This is a great opening track. It has an alternative country feel infused with the traditional slide and guitar sounds you would you would be more accustom to hearing on an old country western album. Detar's vocals and lyrical content give this music a more present day feel.

"The Santa Anna wind won’t stop blowing
hot and hard like it’s pushing me aside.
She’s too hot not to burn you but you’ll pay for her time
so just take a swig and let her say goodbye.

In a dark empty house on a famous old hill
if they don’t love you now they never will.
Cause if you sell your heart to their empty souls
you’ll be vacant like this house upon the hill.

The city in the smog leaves you broken like her faded landmarks get built up to fall.
You get tossed along the freeway when her new thing comes along
but she can never let your heart forget at all.

In a dark empty house on a famous old hill
if they don’t love you now they never will.
Cause if you sell your heart to their empty souls you’ll be vacant like this house upon the hill.

lonely in the spotlight
spit out like the salt
washed up on the coastline
that’s leaves a bittersweet taste in your dirty mouth.
I don’t wanna’ leave this way
but as sure as the sun on the 101 you won’t remember my name.
I don’t wanna leave this way
but I can’t go on giving all of my love to town that don’t feel the same."


"Cocaine, Whiskey And Heroin" is by far my favorite track on this album. It is also one of his standout songs to witness live. It is very much a sing along type song. You can almost hear a drunken bar sing along if this came on the jukebox. 

"Cocaine. Whiskey. Heroin.
I got the cocaine and whiskey and heroin blues.
Cocaine, whiskey and heroin blues.
Cocaine and whiskey and heroin blues.
Ain’t nothing left to lose

There’s blood in the sink.
I hear death on the prowl.
Pawned all that I own.
God knows where I’m bound.
No food on my plate.
No love left to save.
Gonna’ dig an early grave

I got the cocaine, whiskey and heroin blues.
Cocaine and whiskey and heroin blues.
Cocaine and whiskey and heroin blues.
I got nothing left to lose.

I’ve been up on the ridge.
Shone proud like the sun.
But I gave it all up for what I’ve become.
So hear this lament for all that I’ve spent.
I never meant to hurt no one.

I got the cocaine, whiskey and heroin blues.
Cocaine and whiskey and heroin blues.
Cocaine and whiskey and heroin blues.
I got nothing left to lose.

I got them cocaine and whiskey and heroin blues.
Cocaine, whiskey and heroin blues.
Cocaine and whiskey and heroin blues.
Ain’t nothing left to lose.
I got nothing left to lose."


Brett Detar give a present day spin to a dying breed of classic sounding Country music. Bird I The Triangle is a very gritty and real album. Something that can not be said about the current state of this "New Country" music the masses are being fed. This is a very inspiring album and will hopefully open the ears and eyes of people to look towards other avenues in musical exploration.


Brett Detar goes good with: The Julian Theory, Old 97s, City and Colour, Brett Detar, Hank 3 (1 and 2), Johnny Cash, Townes Van Zandt, Willie Nelson, Sleepercar


-Cicatriz




Buy this album here: http://brettdetar.bandcamp.com/album/bird-in-the-tangle





Comments