Robinson - England’s Bleeding




The bastard great grandson of Lord Burgess is England’s conscience. He attempts to prove it with his debut album “England’s Bleeding.”

I’m making somebody really rich
While he pays me peanuts
Well, ain’t it a bitch.
I’ve got to get out of here.

-  a verse from the track “Forget About It All.”

Andy Robinson, also known simply as “Robinson” expertly blends disparate musical styles - Klezmer, Folk, Jazz, Blues, Country, Alternative Rock - as he plays clarinet, saxophone, guitar, banjo, glockenspiel, accordion and percussion. Yet, what could have been a cacaphony of harmonies is a smooth and successful combination of melodies all for one purpose - to make you think about the human condition.

Always talk to strangers
Because they are always lonelier than you
Always talk to strangers
Because you never know when you’ll need a friend

- chorus form the track “Always Talk To Strangers.”

This son of a son of a son of a bastard knows what he wants and is not shy about telling us what it is.

Some people just want some money.
They believe it’s going to make them happy
I can understand but it’s not what I need,
What I need is much cheaper than this

I want a place by the sea with a record player
and an old beaten up guitar
with a pub down below
Just to stumble back home
and that’s all that I really want
and that’s all that I really want
and that’s all I thats all I really want

Some people just want a woman
And some kids just want a baby
They both bel;ieve that family’s the answer
But for me I want simplier than this

I want good clean fresh air and brand new cigarettes
A good pair of shoes and a comfortable bed
Girls come and go but this smile remains
and that’s all that I really want
and that’s all that I really want
and that’s all I thats all I really want

    - excerpt from the track “That’s All I Really Want.”

Robinson is the whole package.  He can play, arrange and write.  He is from coal mining stock and echos British working class indignation.  

Hip hip hooray for our new Governor
England’s joy is MacDonald’s big brother,
I don’t care for one or the other
In the pocket of America’s mother.
Our children are pregnant and drunk
Our fathers are useless scraps of junk
Johnny Rotten who sang without a key
Is nothing but a sold-out punk.

England’s bleeding now
England’s bleeding now
England’s bleedng everywhere

    - excerpt from the track “England’s Bleeding.”

He writes folk songs like Bob Dylan.  A faint echo of “Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again” can be heard in Robinson’s track “Stuck In Town.”  Yet, his approach is never as raw as Dylan’s approach.  It is polished and it sparkles with Robinson’s emotive voice.  It is the perfect combination for love songs such as “Dance,” “In A Whisper,” “Little Ms. Darling” and the album’s poppy “First Time.”

We smoke cigarettes,
We drink in the park
We always go out after it gets dark
We drink until three
She’s smiling at me
With her red wine lips
And her sweet french kiss

Yeah, I’m so happy I can almost cry
I don’t want this feeling to fade, Oh no

Maybe this could be the first time
Maybe this could be the first time
Maybe this could be the first time
I felt love

- first verse and chorus from the track “First Time.”

For Robinson it is all about the message.  Whether the topic is a melancholy story about an on and off romance, such as the track “In A Whisper,” or a soul-searching exposition on life, such as the track Happiness,”  Robinson’s choice of syntax and cadence are used as formidable weapons.

I want something else
I want something else

Happiness should be caressed, not depressed by the sorrow
Happiness should be caressed, not depressed by the sorrow

Fat cats rule
While us dogs drool
And we bark at each move they make

They think that we’re small
That we don’t care
But I can tell you that our eyes are more open than theirs

I want something else
I want something else

Happiness should be caressed, not depressed by the sorrow
Happiness should be caressed, not depressed by the sorrow

- excerpt from the track “Happiness.”

Robinson ends England’s Bleeding with an introspective look at what he hopes the future holds. “Someday, Somewhere.” is a sweet  ethereal nursery rhyme but is the least enjoyable song of the whole lot.  That may be by design.. Robinson rails against the present but ends it all with a hope for a better future.  

The album is music-based poetry with a message.  It is a viseral and formidable debut effort. It will make you think. Turn it on, turn it up and listen.


- Old School



Comments

Penfold said…
Yes sir. Old School coming with the written haymakers yet again. I took a listen to the linked songs. Positively charming! "Always Talk to Strangers" I found to be particularly uplifting.
Anonymous said…
awful lyricist! been emotive.means more then just stringing metaphores and vague syntax together. This is a white middle class sexist has.been..stick to instruments and leave lyrics to real.poets!