Dirty Madame – S/T

In truth, we get so much music slogged in through the Ripple doors by Postman Sal, that sometimes it’s hard to keep track of it all. That’s definitely the case with this nifty little debut E.P. by Los Angelenos, Dirty Madame.  I have no idea how this disc made it’s way to our office, who mailed it in, where it came from, and no idea how it wound up on my desk in my ever-expanding, leaning-tower-of-CD's to review stack.  But there it was.

As is Ripple policy, everything that comes in gets listened to, so this fine blustery morning, Dirty Madame found it’s way into the Ripple player and . . . damn!  Where did this disc come from?

Dirty Madame play an intensely groove-oriented brand of quirky pop/rock that is a lot heavier and riff oriented than that simple description might lead you to believe.  Over the track of these four cuts, the four-piece hunt down the inherent grooviness in each song like a tribe of bone-pierced Brazilian rainforest hunters tracking down some fresh game.  And they do it with astonishing confidence and an ease that belies the complexity of the songs.  In short, these tracks rock, plain and simple, with a style all their own.  And that style is pure fun.

“June,” brings some off-kilter tones to the opening riff that immediately caught my ear.  Back that up with an incessantly strong rhythm section and my ass was moving all around in the driver’s seat before I’d even hit second gear.  Topping this off is the decidedly original vocals of Greg Davis, who manages to sound distinctly indy yet commercial at the same time.  At times his voice most reminds me of Colin Hay the old lead-singer of Men at Work, and that’s a compliment.  Greg let’s his voice rise and fall all around these songs, weaving in and in between the groove.  "June" starts off with a donkey-kick to the ass and just keeps on going from there.  The more I hear it, the more I like it.

Check out the band’s myspace and they list a stack of influences that’s about nineteen country miles long.  In truth, I don’t really hear any of those in the music.  Maybe a touch of Kings of Leon in the quirkiness of the guitar work?  A smattering of White Stripes in the straight-ahead delivery?  A flavor of Franz Ferdinand in their ambition?  Some Strokes? And Men at Work, damn it!  If not just in the tone of the vocals, then in the instantaneous catchiness of their melodies.  (I’m working that Men at Work angle here, and I’m not gonna let it go.  Particularly if Men at Work knew how to rock this hard.)

“Michelangelo,” brings back more of that near-off time riffing with some propulsive rhythm work and a serious freak out on bass.  Let me toss in fIREHOSE here.  Maybe?  Not sure, but there’s something subversive yet infinitely cool at work here.  The whole affair reminds me of Jonathan Richman’s ode to Picasso, if not in execution than in intent.  Expect this song on Ripple Radio soon.  And often.

Ok, so now that the boys got my attention, they switch gears in a dramatic way with “Santa Anna,” probably my favorite song on the album.  (Yeah, I know I raved about the others already.  I still like this one best.).  Riding more of a mid-tempo pace (though you wouldn’t know it from the hyper-kinetic drums), this song is a slow burner, with killer harmonies and that distinctly Colin Hay-ish vocal delivery (I told you I wasn’t done with that line of thought). 

“Like the Sound,” finishes us off just as strong as we started, and in fact, a bit more rocking.  Blaring out a fuzzed guitar riff that sounds like one half of the “You Really Got Me,” riff by the Kinks, Dirty Madame reveal their inner garage here.  Straight ahead and ballsy, a fitting end to a surprising debut.

Brimming with confidence and the chops to back it up, Dirty Madame got me to give them the double eye-brow raised salute.  In fact as this was playing, my son stepped into my office and declared that Dirty Madame are everything the Ripple is about: the best music you're not listening to.

Don't make that mistake.  Check these cats out.  They're definitely a band we at the Ripple are gonna keep our collective eye on. 

Now if I can only figure out where it came from.

--Racer

www.myspace.com/dirtymadame

Comments

Unknown said…
THESE GUYS ROCK. ARE THEY PERFORMING LIVE?